Lobby Grille Chipotle Butternut Squash Soup
- 3 Tbps olive oil, divided
- 1 medium winter butternut squash, halved lengthwise and seeds removed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 6 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 2-4 teaspoon chipotle chilies in adobo
- ½ can coconut milk
For the Squash
For the Soup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease sliced surface of squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange on a baking sheet and roast until very tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
- In a large heavy pot over medium-high heat, add remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, onion, carrot, and then season with a pinch of salt. Saute until tender, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and ginger, and sauté for 2 more minutes. Scoop squash flesh into the pot and stir. Add 4 cups vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer vegetables until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the chipotles and coconut milk, and using an immersion blender, carefully puree the soup until very smooth. A blender may also be used. If necessary, add more broth to create desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe from Casey Pickett and Mike Krull, Lobby Grille at Montrose Memorial Hospital
Find other recipes and great information at the Valley Food Partnership website.